Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sleepy in Seattle

I'm writing at the Saltwater bunkhouse in Seattle. I've got the apartment to myself which is nice...all the other observers in town are out painting the town red so to speak. We're in the University District of town, which is nice because there's a lot of cool stuff within walking or bus distance. I still haven't branched out to the outlying areas like I wanted to, but I did see Pike Place market and a bit of downtown. Otherwise, I've sorta stuck to the neighborhood on my runs and adventures.
The parks and greenery here are beautiful. Everything is in bloom, and there are tulips and gorgeous flowers everywhere. I spent some time at a place called the Arboretum a few days ago and had a lovely walk through 200 acres of trees, shrubs, and flowers. Last night and today I attended a seminar on creativity put on by the Guild for Jungian Psychology at the Quaker meeting house, which was very cool. I'm planning on returning to Meeting tomorrow there as well (I went to last week's service too).
I started my debriefing yesterday and it went MUCH better than my little head predicted. I have an understanding debriefer who's familiar with my particular boat and it's challenges. She's also working extra hard to get me out of here quickly which is really cool. Maybe government employees don't QUITE deserve their rep...hopefully I'll finish up by Tuesday so I can get home and meet up with my mom for our Unitarian Universalist Women's retreat this weekend in the Angeles National Forest.
My plans for another contract are to return to Anchorage in June to train for the scallop fishery. There's a spot on a really cool boat that fishes out of Homer, AK, and it sounds like a neat experience. Scallops are managed at a state level, so I would be dealing with Alaska Department of Fish and Game instead of the National Marine Fisheries Service. This in and of itself is appealing!

2 comments:

LaSue said...

ooh, are you coming to town. I would love to see you. I need a pick me up. Tomorrow I go for the ultrasound and I'm scared. I really think it is going to be nothing, but I have to go through my own nightmare to get a real diagnosis. Hope to see you soon. Be safe

Anonymous said...

Haven't checked your blog lately you silly wonderful crazy woman. Sounds like you're having fun (as always). Remember to look me up again while you're back in socal. Love,Anita