Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pictures, kids, and itchiness

I'm at the center in Chiang Rai, and really really loving it. The kids aren't quite as cuddly as the Pokot children, but that's okay. I think they'll warm up in time as we learn their names and such.
I've got a few pictures up and posted:

http://picasaweb.google.com/passionflower24/Thailand

When I arrived in Chiang Rai I was picked up by Juan at the bus station. It was great to see him again, and a little strange...a year later, a different continent...a lot to catch up on. I went with the director of the center, Amanda to pick up some of the children from school but many had the day off for a National Holiday (they have a National Holiday for Children. Children's Day!). Back at the center, I was shown around and met the other volunteers. There's so many of us here right now...besides Amanda and the co-director Caty, theres Juan from the UK, Eleanor from France, Adam from Australia, Dennis-Michael from the US, and Laura & Phil from Australia. The center itself is beautiful and quite modern. There's several working toilets and showers (one is even western and there's even hot water). It's very comfortable. We're located in a quiet sorta bucolic setting on the outskirts of town, there's a lot of countryside and stray dogs and such. I was stoked that it was safe enough to go on a run, and I got to see a lot of the city which is MUCH larger than I had expected-62,000 people according to Wiki!
http://wikitravel.org/en/Chiang_Rai

My first night in I was super excited to try the Thai cuisine but for dinner, Caty treated 4 of the birthday kids to KFC (as in Kentucky Fried Chicken) and a toy at the supermarket. Surprisingly, even KFC inThailand was pretty good...I got tuna salad. Still not impressed enough to purchase a KFC handbag or anything (I saw one for sale at the market-unbeleivable!).

Saturday was actually Children's Day, and tons of festivities were taking place. We took the children down to Chiang Rai beach where there was a celebration complete with games, food, and music. The kids made out like bandits with tons of free food and I tried my favorite dish thus far-papaya salad. It's made with unripe papaya strips, chilis, dried shrimp, roasted peanuts, and lime juice & vinegar. It's sublime.

Sunday was super-relaxed. There were a few house meetings where we were introduced to the kids via a translator. The children are all from the hilltribes of Northern Thailand, mostly Lahu and Akha. They speak their tribal language mostly, and Amanda and Caty have just gotten a teacher to give them Thai lessons daily after they come home from school. These groups endure a lot of prejeduce and discrimination from Thai's, and aren't even treated as full citizens. They aren't even given passports, so they can never leave their tribal province. Carol (founder of International Humanity Foundation) established this center as a preventative measure against human trafficking and sexual slavery; the fate of many unwanted hilltribe children. Once again, I feel quite affirmed that IHF is truly doing work with the most marginalized and poverty-stricken populations. Here's links to more info:
http://www.thaifreedomhouse.org/hill_tribes.php
http://www.hrsolidarity.net/mainfile.php/2004vol14no06/2384/

The task I've been given is comprehensive review and edit of the website text. Not very romantic, I know, but I'm actually very happy that I can be doing something useful that utilizes my skills. Other projects are ongoing painting and cleaning at the center, and various miscellaneous administrative tasks involving sponsorship and fundraising. I know it sounds weird to travel halfway around the world just to sit at a computer much of the day, but it's some of the most important and neccesary work to be done.

As for me, I'm doing great despite being covered in mosquito bites (well not covered but they're especially itchy. Especially the ones on the bottom of my feet and forehead.) The food is awesome and cheap and plentiful, I'm in good company, and it's not humid. I have absolutely no complaints...life is extremely extremely good :)

No comments: