Saturday, November 24, 2007

Ms.Culture Maven

So I bought a cheap portable DVD player for the trip and a bunch of movies second-hand. I've assumed that certain entertainment favorites of my own are totally needed. Here's a sample population:
-The Princess Bride (bringing the book as well)
-The Jungle Book
-Whale Rider
-Star Wars Episodes 5, 6, & 7
-Muppets from Space
-The Secret of NIMH
I found myself in the typical Angela-esque state of hyperanalysis concerning what types of American pop culture Kenyans would be interested in....and/or what would be appropriate for orphans or people that aren't used to a culture based on consumerism and luxury spending. I didn't want them to feel badly about seeing all white, affluent people living great (fake) lives so I tried to stick to animal-based or multi-cultural themes. I had the same concerns when picking out books...would my childhood favorites be relevant to these kids? Would they understand stories with American racial overtones (like Maniac McGee, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, and Sounder)? Could kids raised in the bush with no electricity or water appreciate camping out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art (one of my faves, The Secret Files of Ms. Basil E. Frankweiler)? Eventually I decided that I'd have to try and pick things that have such universal themes that they transcend all these differences:
-The Phantom Tollbooth
-A Wrinkle in Time
-Strega Nona (who can't relate to wanting a neverending pasta pot??)
-Spot Goes to School (for the littlest ones)
-Doctor Doolittle
-Island of the Blue Dolphins
I'm also bringing a copy of Roots but I'll probably check with Carol before giving that one over. I'm not sure what the perception of American slavery or African Americans is there, but I found it to be an immensly powerful book.

Below are some pictures of my Mad Science kids at Starview Elementary in Midway City, CA. I told them I wanted to send their greetings over to the kids in Nakuru, and I'd bring back pics for them next semester.








1 comment:

LaSue said...

trying to leave a comment but I'm having difficulty. Have fun, take pictures and keep us posted.