Monday, November 5, 2007

Preparing...

I'm getting so nervous. And excited. Every day I vow to work on my packing list but it never quite happens...I'll probably just do it how I know best...power out the last few days before I leave. Thankfully I'll have my mom here to help. Since she's more fastidious than I, things should actually make it overseas in one piece : )
Ah forgive me. This is my first foray into the world of blogging. I should probably start at the beginning:
I'm going to Africa!
I've worked with a wonderful volunteer organization for the past year called International Humanity Foundation. Check out the website at http://www.ihfonline.org/. They do fabulous work all over the world for the poorest of the poor children in Thailand, Bali, Indonesia, and Kenya. I'll be travelling to Nakuru, Kenya on the 27th to work with the IHF children. There's an orphanage and school for 48 kids from the East Pokot region of Kenya. They've recently been relocated to the Nakuru area which is sort of good news for me because that means I'll have constant electricity and internet/telephone access. The climate is also more temperate; the permanent IHF center in East Pokot experiences temperatures in excess of 115 degrees. Eey yey yey.
Right now I'm gathering donations to bring over. So far I've got 2 iMac computers and plans to bring 50 PVC flutes. I just finished a Native American flute class at the community center and got an (overly optimistic???) idea to bring these to the kids. Cross your fingers that LAX security buys this explanation...it will look like I'm bringing 50 pipe bombs on an international flight. My next plan is to hit up some yard sales and ask for their leftovers; Carol (the founder of IHF) has specifically asked for CD players and cell phones for the kids. I also want to bring clothing, toys, and school supplies. If anyone has any resources or supplies contact me and let me know!

3 comments:

Deb said...

...leaving the 27th of this month?!!
I'm excited for you; and welcome to blogging. :)

I hope you are able to keep us all informed of your adventures!

John White said...

Can you pre-clear items through security?

If you think it's going to be an issue, I'd -really- check it out ahead of time. You don't want to miss the flight or lose the flutes!

Brian said...

I have 2 older cell phones that have been sitting on my desk for a while. One is from sprint, one is from nextel.

Want them? Will they work?