Sunday, January 13, 2008

Today I am thankful for capitalism

The swap meet and Farmer's Market booths were a success; today IHF raised a total of $602 to send to the emergency Kenya relief fund. Pretty cool!

I spoke with Jeff after wiring over some money (given to me by the people I met the Khisa/Ouma family through; a member of the OC Friends meeting who was a missionary in Africa in the '60's and his good friend). He was hoping to return home to Bungoma today since all the buses were filled yesterday. He wants to get home before the mass rallies are planned to start in synchrony all over the country. He thinks that supplies will be hard to come by and transportation crippled again for the week once they begin.

I haven't seen anything new in the news, except for a rising death toll. Official reports are now at close to 700, but it's highly probable that this is a gross underestimate.

I want to call Pauline tomorrow to see how the kids are and if Carol has made it to Nakuru yet. I've been thinking quite a bit about the kids today since I spent so long talking about them. I miss them so much and hope they have some degree of normalcy now since school should be starting tomorrow.

No comments: