Thursday, January 3, 2008

Worry

I'm just sitting here pushing refresh on my email over and over...I was able to talk to Juan and Laura briefly. All the volunteers have gone to Tanzania to wait out the storm. Total chaos has descended; Juan says everyone is carrying knives and machetes, and it's just insane how badly everything has gone to pieces in just 5 days.
The kids are okay, but sad. The volunteers are worried that they will feel like they've been abandoned. Carol is hopefully on her way to Kenya right now so that they won't be so alone. Pauline is in a very fragile state as her uncle was one of the Kikuyu's killed, and her husband David has been injured in the raids. Thankfully they should have enough money to tide them over with food and Juan has also gotten the local police involved in security.
In Bungoma, Liz and her family are still indoors, trying to be patient and pray for peace. Jeff is still stuck in Nairobi. They have no electricity and fresh foods are becoming increasingly hard to find. She sounds very positive and happy and asked about my family (of course) but I imagine the atmosphere is very strained.
I wish I could do something. I wish I was there instead of here just feeling useless and worried.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela: You are doing great work!!
thank you for sharing!
Kathie Albertson

Deb said...

Been thinking of you and IHF and the dear little ones you've all been helping. Kenya's people are in my heart and prayers.

Anonymous said...

This is the message my friend Linda asked me to send you.....
Angie, you don't know me, but I'm Linda - met your Mom in Prescott through Terri. Kudos to you, girl - it's an amazinging cool thing you're doing - contributing to the good in the world, overcoming some of the badness, helping the innocent. You'll never be the same and you will leave positive ripples that will expand forever!

You and all those in Kenya are in my prayers,
Mom