Friday, February 8, 2008

3 Degrees and holding!

Well I'm here and I love it! Apparently this past week has been a real cold snap, even by Alaskan standards (well....Anchorage at least) but I've yet to be truly uncomfortable. I've been doing A LOT of walking which keeps me pretty darn warm. It's been a nice way to get out and about but I also really miss my car. The public bus system here is not so great, but I've still used it a couple times. I use any excuse I can to get out of the house since it's a bit crowded. There are 7 0f us observers in training in a small 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment. *Sigh*. Thankfully, there aren't any truly difficult personalities and we all seem to get along pretty well. But there's a definate lack of privacy and quiet time that I miss. Of course, this is fabulous training for what we'll encounter on vessels; maybe they do this to us on purpose???
The Groundfish Observer training program has been really really cool. I'm totally digging being in school again. My wheels have been turning as to what this may lead to in the future for me career-wise...several of the teachers here and NOAA government officials were former Observers. I'm really getting interested in the fisheries management aspect; it's absolutely fascinating. Alaska has not only the largest fishery in the world, but one the healthiest and most well-managed as well. This is largely in part to the real-time data that's collected by Observers. The amount of data collected is staggering, and it's really cool to see how it's actually used to make major conservation and economic decisions.
I'll try and get some pictures up of Anchorage soon; it's really not all that interesting but hopefully we'll get out this weekend and get a chance to see the Northern Lights up in a smaller town like Wasilla or something. I'm going to wait until next weekend to try and go snowboarding, since fresh snow is forecasted and it's also going to "warm up" to the late 20's.
Most of my free time is spent on homework and going to the gym. Class is from 8-5 every week day so we really don't have much time to mess around. Everything sure takes longer without a car...I'm feeling like a true Southern California gal as I realize how much I depend on my wheels and how much they contribute to my sense of independence and freedom. I mean, the walking is nice and all to a point, but it's so slow! I got things to do and places to be! Not to mention that for some reason, the City of Anchorage doesn't seem concerned with plowing their sidewalks or salting the roads...there's just perm-a-ice everywhere. This doesn't mean people adjust their driving styles accordingly, so I also don't feel real safe walking along the road sometimes. And I have to kinda hobble along so I don't slip and fall.
I got an email from Jeff Ouma who has a lot of hope for the negotiations with Kofi Annan in Kenya. Otherwise, I'm pretty out of the loop. I'm planning on calling Pauline soon and will report back with any news.
Love to all from the Great White North,
Angela

1 comment:

LaSue said...

Getting ready to drive to Costa Mesa and I thought I should check in with you. What a change of scenery you are having. It is amazing how once you have on the correct clothing being out in the cold can be a wonderful experience. I don't think I ever experienced 3 degrees but there was some times it was 17-20 degrees when I lived in New York. Glad to hear you are enjoying the school and learning new things. It sounds like a wonderful, noble adventure. Good for you! I miss you, but it helps knowing you are doing something you find rewarding. Do you have a direct email address I can write to you? Don't need everyone to read everything I have to say. Haha Much love & kisses from Southern California.