Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I'm roasting up here

Anchorage is experiencing quite a heat wave right now; the past few days have all been in the high '30's which is positively stifling:
Melting snow all day = tons of ice at night, so for those of us living the pedestrian lifestyle, it's quite challenging. And slicker than dog snot!

Speaking of our furry friends, the big news around here these days is "Fur Rondy" (short for Fur Rendezvous) , a week-long extravaganza that originally coincided with the time that the miners and trappers came to town with their winter's yield. The World Championship Sled Dog Race debuted in 1946 and has become the cornerstone event of the Festival bringing teams of sled dogs and mushers to Anchorage from across Alaska and all over the world. Other events include the Rondy Carnival, the Grand Parade, the uniquely Alaskan Original Men's Snowshoe Softball and the Grand Prix Auto Race. Oh and also snow-carving contest that my very own teacher, Mike Vechter will be entering on behalf of the University of Alaska Observer Training Center! Predictably, there will be fish and crabs involved...if you want the whole low-down, here's the link: http://www.furrondy.net/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

So I passed my fish ID exam today which means I'm one step closer to getting on a boat. This afternoon we all headed over to the UAA pool to do some survival training. Here's some pics of me in my immersion suit (aka, Gumby suit) after we did all the chain formations and life raft drills. It was pretty fun, but I can imagine that doing it under Bering Sea conditions is probably not so enjoyable.




Here's a generic shot of my street...I'm waiting for a clear day to take pictures of the mountains which are really beautiful, but it is usually dark by the time I'm out walking around. Although the days are getting lighter and lighter now.


Home sweet home: yah I KNOW it looks big on the outside, but there's 6 units, each of which have about 6 or 7 people in them. We are thinning out though; we've lost 2 observers so far. One didn't make the midterm, and the other just wanted to go home.


I've been really busy with homework and miscellany but after I (God-willing) pass the final on Thursday, things should really slow down and I'll be able to get out and see the surrounding areas more. I really want to get a day of riding in at the local ski hill, and visit the local native heritage museum. And enjoy not going to school 40 hours a week.



No comments: