Thursday, February 28, 2008

Alaska from the air

We got the most awesome opportunity to go up in a single engine Cessna last Sunday. A girl I live with knows a pilot who works for an arial photography company, and he was cool enough to take 3 of us girls up in his plane. We flew to Talkeetna for pizza, and then came back:

Chugach Mountains outside of Anchorage


Katie and Danielle

Our pilot Nick



View from Danielle's window

Denali (Mt. McKinley)


Welcome to beautiful Talkeetna, AK!

The main drag in Talkeetna


My bird's eye view of the cockpit





Downtown anchorage from above


Anchorage & the bay

Nick did a couple of nosedives so we could feel 0 g's...all the crap and crud floated out of the crevices in the plane and floated around. It was pretty wild. He also gave us a chance to fly the plane. It was amazing.

I got my assignment today. Next Wednesday I'll head out to Dutch Harbor, AK to board the Clipper Endeavor. It's 124 feet and has about 10 crew members. We'll be longlining for sablefish (also known as black cod) out in the far west Bering Sea. It will be a pretty long cruise; up to 50 days but every 2 weeks we'll head back into port to offload.

Hey I'm on Facebook now, which is much easier to use as far as posting pictures, so if anyone else is look me up!

Peace out,
A

1 comment:

LaSue said...

Hi Angela - . Glad to see you got your certificate and you might be out on a boat as I write this. Don't give up on the blog. It was great to get all of the news, even if I don't read it weekly. Much love - Laurie